Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Dance of the Moving Mountain

While it's a little frustrating living so far away from work now, I know that's not going to last forever. It takes me about an hour to get downtown, and another hour home, but at least it's an hour on the train. I spend it reading the news, or novels, or what-have-you. Not a bad thing, all told.

In any case, in about two weeks I start a new job at the new Harry Caray's in Wrigleyville (woot!) It's across the street from Wrigley Field. From the front door, you can see the statue of Harry Caray himself. This summer is going to earn me so much cash. The Cubs did pretty well last year, and with this the 100th anniversary of the last time they won the World Series, everyone's going to be paying a lot of attention. I already foresee how worn out I'm likely to be, since I won't be leaving my office job completely.

What's REALLY cool is that working so hard for so many hours let me pay off one of my credit cards this past week. Completely. And I was still able to replace my old, crappy boots and make rent. Ramen noodles taste so much better when I have that one less worry in my life, one less creditor to answer for, one more goal achieved. I'm tired a lot, but I'm so much more relieved day to day. No more stomachaches about whether or not I'm going to make rent. No more headaches over whether or not I can afford to eat.

No more nightmares.

I was also able to afford all kinds of new things for my apartment. It's frustrating having to re-purchase things I used to own (cookware, knives, that kind of thing), but I thought I was going to Russia for a time, and started leaving things behind I figured I wouldn't need again. 'S okay, though, as long as I can actually afford stuff. Hard work pays off and pays well, and the more I get ahead, the faster I get ahead. Finally, I'm making sacrifices and taking care of business like never before.

It wasn't easy making the decisions it took to get me here—but I'm here. I like where I am and where it looks like I'm going.

One step at a time.
---
P.S. If you missed it, I have a new phone number. Write me if you need it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment