Monday, April 8, 2013

Mystery Guest, Sign In Please

I've been wondering this for months.

There's a statistic count that comes with www.blogger.com that shows traffic sources.  I can view who looked at my blog using what operating system, or web browser, or country.

The bulk of my readers are American.  I assume they're all my personal friends, as I myself am American.

Two people in Canada read my blog.  I've met them.

Three people in England read my blog.  I can only think of three people I know who live in England, and I've met them, too.

Sometimes I get hits from Slavic nations, like Ukraine.  On rare occasion there have even been hits from Russia, and I have myself BEEN to Russia and made some friends there.

Some of my hits are coincident with unusual reference sites, which (when I visit them) are obviously spam sites.  When I visit them my virus detection software flares up more alarms than my mother did on prom my night.

But there is one source that kind of boggles me.

It is a country.  I have never been to this country.  I don't recall meeting anyone who speaks its dominant language.  I don't know if I know anyone who has ever been there.  Yet nearly every time I post a post there is one reader who is supposedly reading my blog from this particular European nation.  Every time I post a new post, there is one - and only one - attribution to this particular country.  When I view the all-time breakdown views by country, your country comes in at #2 behind the USA.  In the last 24 hours, you've nearly doubled your viewings of my blog.

I see this statistic, and I ponder:  Who are you?  Have we met?  How did you discover my writing?  Is it a matter of an IP address being misattributed?

And I wonder whether I actually want to know, or would I rather keep the mystery alive? 

So I proffer this plan.

Contact me.  Tell me any amount of information you wish to tell me.  If you can read this post, you have access to my email and my phone number.  Send me a message, and tell me which country you're from, and - pretty please - how you found me.

If you send an email, put the title of this post in the subject line.  Also, do include in which country you live for verification's sake.  I have other plans to prove it's you, and we'll get to those as time permits.

But really, for the record . . . I love the idea of having a conversation with a stranger.  Especially one who seems to enjoy my writing.

1 comment:

  1. This is the internet-age version of finding a new pen pal by either using a message in a bottle or by tying a message to a balloon and seeing where it ends up! Would love to hear the follow-up to this, if the recipient even replies.

    ReplyDelete