Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sweet Home Chicago

First, may I say that if you've never tied a tarp over half of what you own, then you're not good at it. Try and take that tarp 938 miles, however, and you can become a pro REAL fast.

It took a day longer than we thought it would to get here, but we gained some experience for the journey. Poor kitty didn't have enough sedatives for the whole trip, and grape flavored children's Benadryl she just won't eat. Phooey.

We made it here about 11:00 a.m. Thursday morning. We were *nearly* done unloading into the lobby four hours later before I heard two words I never expected to hear: "Tornado Warning". We got everything inside in time, but the heavens opened, flooding was rampant, and trees were blown into the streets all over Chicago.

Incidentally, Chicago drivers are some of the rudest people I've ever witnessed.

Our apartment holds all of our furniture with room to spare (not much, but more so than any other one bedroom apartment I've ever known), so we didn't feel bad about grabbing a comfy chair and little table from the dumpster area earlier tonight.

I've reconnected with friends I knew from college and since, and got some notions about where to start looking for a job as well as some actor resources. The people in our building are quite friendly, and some of them even helped us move the heavy stuff. Not bad for two days in town.

Tomorrow is Blue Man Group, and Monday is the start of the job hunt as Heather starts class. Soon, I'll be in touch with the family I have up here. And some time before Christmas, I hope to be unpacked.

Of course, I hope to have a job by then, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment