Friday, August 10, 2007

Nearly Done

After more than nine years working at Magic Time Machine, my time there is nearly done. I can't say I'm too sad about the prospect. I have some measure of pride for being there so long, and having affected so many people's lives. I've had a few regulars come in over the last few weeks, writing me lovely messages of farewell and thank you for the good times they had over the years. It's nice to be recognized for a job well done (nicer still to be paid for said job).

Magic Time Machine is a place that no matter what you thought of it, you'll always remember. Every customer I talk to remembers exactly how old they were and what the occasion was every time they've walked through our door. They remember the waiter, what they ate, what jokes they heard. Some people love us and some people are thoroughly unimpressed, yet we still make an impression on people's minds that lasts, literally, a lifetime. I'm honored to have been a part of it for as long as I was.

Nonetheless, I'm over it. It's past time to move on, and move on I shall. Heather and I found an apartment in Wrigley Park in Chicago, and we move in less than two weeks. I have a few preparations to make before I go, but there's a week in-between my last day at MTM and the actual start of the move. I regret to say that I'll immediately be looking for a job at another bar/restaurant, but it's not a permanent thing. Most of my time in Chicago is going to be spent making an actor out of myself and preparing for grad school auditions in February.

Life as I know it is about to change more drastically than ever before, and I'd be lying if I said I haven't been losing sleep over the prospect. I'm excited, I'm scared . . . . but I'm no longer docile. No longer complacent with my lot in life. No longer depressed. By the time I turn thirty next summer, I expect my life to look very dissimilar compared with the one I have now. Or, at least, it goddamn jolly well BETTER.

My last day at Magic Time Machine is this Monday night. The move begins eight days later. Parties and such will happen in-between. Call me, my number hasn't changed. Write me, and we'll make plans. Otherwise—perhaps I'll see you this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment